Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Harry Buzzell's World War I Story, Part 12

Time to start thinking about the 4th of July and family gatherings. Harry Buzzell, my grandfather's brother, automatically comes to mind as he is the one in our family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 1918 during World War I in France. His story was captured in his own words in 60 letters that he wrote home from 1914 to 1918.
I've written about him before some and even presented a speech once. But now I want to look at it again and thought that I would create a series about him in honor of the July 4th holiday weekend.

Excerpts From Harry’s Letters
(Here I have changed the grammar and spelling. Pictured is Harry's younger brother, Arthur, in his World War I uniform. Three of the Buzzell sons served in the war. Two survived.)

About patriotism, written December 9, 1917, Camp Gordon, Atlanta, Georgia, to Mother and to brother Arthur Buzzell
I am not afraid to give my life for thi
s cause and will do my best for my country.
Let me tell you something. You may be patriotic and support the Country and like to be a soldier, but the men that are out of the draft age are the fortunate ones, believe me.

There are a lot of lonesome days and a lot of hardships to be endured before our training is complete. It may be a long time before we get in any actual service, but there is no place like home. A fellow can’t get a furlow. I understand there will be no furlows for Christmas in this Battery. Don’t be misled by patriotic speakers, but stay where you are as long as you can and enjoy the love of home and company.

to be continued