Monday, July 6, 2009

Harry Buzzell's World War I Story, Part 11

Time to start thinking about the 4th of July and family gatherings. Harry Buzzell, my grandfather's brother, automatically comes to mind as he is the one in our family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 1918 during World War I in France. His story was captured in his own words in 60 letters that he wrote home from 1914 to 1918.
I've written about him before some and even presented a speech once. But now I want to look at it again and thought that I would create a series about him in honor of the July 4th holiday weekend.

Excerpts From Harry’s Letters
(Here I have changed the grammar and spelling.)

About motor battery, written November 20, 1917, (Harry’s 24th birthday), Camp Gordon, Atlanta, Georgia, to Mother
There is some talk again of them making this battery a motor battery. If they do, the men in the driving will be used on the trucks. That will be better than horses for there will be no horses to care for.

[The photo shows Ralph, Harry's big brother, with the horses back home on the farm in Woodland, Maine.]

to be continued