Saturday, July 4, 2009

Harry Buzzell's World War I Story, Part 9

Time to start celebrating the 4th of July. We always have a family gathering at the lake. Harry Buzzell, my grandfather's brother, automatically comes to mind as he is the one in our family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 1918 during World War I in France. His story was captured in his own words in 60 letters that he wrote home from 1914 to 1918.
I've written about him before some and even presented a speech once. But now I want to look at it again and thought that I would create a series about him in honor of the July 4th holiday weekend.

Excerpts From Harry’s Letters
(Here I have changed the grammar and spelling.)

About auto School, written January 2, 1917, Hartford, Connecticut, to Mother
I thought I could go to work in the factory and to school two nights a week, but as I got through in the factory, I am giving all my time to the school. I guess it will be better this way. I can get rested and go to school. It is called the Hartford Auto School. I like it so far. It is going to cost me quite a bit, but I think it is what I want, repair and driving cars combined. The repair is practical work on cars so when I get through I can either drive or repair. I find the best jobs and best pay is driving and a fellow isn’t much good if he can't drive if necessary.

to be continued