Friday, July 3, 2009

Harry Buzzell's World War I Story, Part 8


Time to start thinking about and getting ready for the 4th of July. Harry Buzzell, my grandfather's brother, automatically comes to mind as he is the one in our family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 1918 during World War I in France. His story was captured in his own words in 60 letters that he wrote home from 1914 to 1918.
I've written about him before some and even presented a speech once. But now I want to look at it again and thought that I would create a series about him in anticipation of the upcoming holiday weekend.

Excerpts From Harry’s Letters
(Here I have changed the grammar and spelling. Today's photo is Harry's sister, Myra who had some eye problems that he asks about in his letter.)

About dreaming about home, written February 13, 1916, Pinecastle, Florida, to Mother
I dreamed I was home last night and I thought it was spring. We were putting in the crops and it seemed as if Papa had sold all the horses and bought mules and we were having some time. How is Myra this winter? Does the school work seem hard for her? Do the kids go on the car this winter or do they board?
[The car was the Aroostook Valley Railroad, an electric trolley that provided transportation from Colby to Caribou.]

to be continued