Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Harry Buzzell's World War I Story, Part 6


Time to start thinking about and getting ready for the 4th of July. Harry Buzzell, my grandfather's brother, automatically comes to mind as he is the one in our family who made the ultimate sacrifice in 1918 during World War I in France. His story was captured in his own words in 60 letters that he wrote home from 1914 to 1918.
I've written about him before some and even presented a speech once. But now I want to look at it again and thought that I would create a series about him in anticipation of the upcoming holiday weekend.

Excerpts From Harry’s Letters
(Here I have changed the grammar and spelling. The photo today is Harry's sister, Sadie.)

About lawn party at home in Colby, written January 23, 1915, Orlando, Florida, to sister Sadie Buzzell
I helped a man put on fertilizer and ashes in grove last week. He harrowed it till it was like a garden. He only had about 8 acres and he keeps that looking great. It is raining as hard as it can pour, warm as you please, just comes down as easy as it does when we want to have a social up in Maine, especially a lawn party.


to be continued